Sunday, December 19, 2010

Blassreiter

Sorry about not posting for a while...life got really busy. Should be back to a regular schedule now and hopefully throw some extras in to make up for the delay.


Quick & Dirty
Language: English
Initial Interest: High
Favorite Character: Joseph
Opinion: Good
Likely to Finish: Workin on it


Synopsis
 Faced with an outbreak of demonic blood, which transforms humans into insane and hideous creatures bent on violence and death, only one man can stand against the tide of destruction. Joseph Jobson, the only man able to control his cursed demonic form, must hunt down the man who cursed him and save the world from apocalypse.


Pre-Viewing Thoughts
I saw a commercial for this on AnimeNewsNetwork one day and it looked pretty interesting. I guess the plot is a little cliche but it's a cliche I tend to enjoy so I'm looking forward to it. The art looks pretty nice too.


Favorite Character
I say Joseph for this one. This series has approximately 7 characters to choose from...4 XAT members, Joseph, Gerd, and Molich (totally guessing on that spelling). If I'd been paying a little more attention to it, I might know all of their names. Honestly the green team for the XAT haven't done much, the guy on the red team annoys me, the girl seems oblivious, Gerd is insane, and Molich is....interesting. Joseph genuinely seems to be a nice guy which I wasn't really expecting since he took almost 2 episodes to even speak. Plus he kills things with a ruthless efficiency. It's kinda fun.


Overall Opinion
This series seems really interesting. At first I wasn't too sure about it. We open up with motorcycle racing and a naked woman, I thought it was going to be just a little too much of a guy series for my tastes...but it got better. Addmitedly I spent the first 2 episodes a little confused. The synopsis said Joseph was the main character and the only guy who can transform at will, but here we are spending two episodes with Gerd who also seems to have that power. I guess it's just not a great synopsis. I also didn't realize for a while that in episode 2 we were still chasing the monster from episode 1. Apparently introductory beasties get a pass because it was the only monster thing that Joseph fought in these 5 episodes that he didn't beat down in under 3 minutes. That's the only thing I'm a little worried about with this series. Joseph litteraly smashes everyone he comes up against so I'm wondering if he's ever gonna struggle in a fight. I also wonder when Molick will become and Amalgam (as the beasties are called) and if he'll be the in control kind (thought I suspect insane just the same), or the not in control kind. Either way I think it's coming, we'll see if I'm right.
As an additional note, you may have noticed I watched this one in English. It was on Netflix streaming which is English only and I didn't feel like scowering the web when it was so readily available on my tv...so English it was. Incidentally whatever I pick next will likely be the same. But this one seems to me to have translated well. I didn't notice any glaring 'they can't act' moments or any 'why did you cast him/her' characters. The most awkward voice for me was Molich and that's just because it was the only voice that I really recognized.  I actally kind of like Joseph's voice. Other than the voice recognition issue, which was more weird than bad, the only real flaw in the dubbing I saw was that when the choir of children were singing praise for the hero come to save us from the demons (the Amalgams), they recorded a choir of grown ups, and you can tell.
Overall, I say give it a shot. And watch no fewer than 3 episodes because the first 2 might give you the wrong impression.


Next Official Review: Straight Jacket unless otherwise suggested.


Also still looking for input on the question posed at the end of my last review, so if you could give that some thought and comment, I'd really appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment